There are no products in your shopping cart.
- ICCFA CAFÉ
- PET LOSS
- MUSIC LICENSES
- FOR CONSUMERS
- LOT EXCHANGE
- FIND A MEMBER
- INDUSTRY INFO
PLEASE NOTE: TO RECEIVE MEMBER DISCOUNTS, you must be an ICCFA member and logged into your account on the ICCFA website*, or you may call 1.800.645.7700.
*To register as a member on the site, go to the home page, click on "Create New Account" and fill out the form. If your company is a member in good standing, you will be granted membership privileges within 24 hours (but usually within minutes) and will have access to all content throughout the site as well as to ICCFA member discounts.
Also: you cannot earn continuing education credit by listening to recordings. You must attend presentations in person to earn CE credits.
Seminar: "Autopsy, Bereavement and the Jewish Community"
From the 2012 ICCFA Annual Convention
Respect for the body of the deceased, or keval he-met, is the guiding principle for Jewish funeral and burial customs. What are the implications of this when an autopsy is required or recommended? How can the funeral director best guide the family in autopsy cases?
In this session, presented in conjunction with the Jewish Funeral Directors of America, Dr. Ben Margolis will share his insights on:
• bereavement in the Jewish community
• respect for the deceased in the Jewish community
• basics regarding the autopsy
• the general role of autopsy in general bereavement: alleviating guilt, anger and confusion
• reconciling family bereavement needs and Jewish law: the role of the autopsy in "saving lives," or planning for the living
• practical issues for funeral directors and families: consents, timeliness for burial, family right to determine extent of autopsy, when the hospital asks for an autopsy
Ben Margolis, M.D., operates a private autopsy practice in Chicago, Illinois. The philosophy behind his practices is that families come first and that each family's place in the process of bereavement guides the manner of the interaction. He earned a bachelor's degree from Harvard University and his medical doctorate from the University of Chicago. He is an Illinois licensed physician and was board certified as a pathologist in 1999.
Any handouts from this presentation are included in the download or on the CD.