Welcome to the ICCFA Wireless newsletter!
If you experience any problems with this HTML version, please let us know. Call 1.800.645.7700.
ICCFA Wireless is a bi-weekly electronic newsletter bringing members of the International Cemetery, Cremation and Funeral Association the latest government and legal, industry and association news. It is available to all ICCFA members current on their dues. Comments, questions and "hot news tips" are welcome. Write to: email@example.com.
Dealing With the Swine (H1N1) Flu: What Employers Should Be Doing NOW!
Whether the Swine flu will be officially designated a pandemic, meaning that it has become a world-wide epidemic, employers are urged to take action now to respond to the flu's potential impact on employee health, staffing needs and of the health of your business organization. ICCFA labor law attorney Mike Pepperman has provided a series of pro-active steps that employers should be doing now, as well as understanding related employment law issues from sick leave policies to requiring personal protective equipment. To view Pepperman’s advice, click here.
If You Ship Remains by Air, Register NOW as a "Known Shipper"—6-8 Week Backlog Currently for July 1 Deadline
ICCFA headquarters is still receiving phone inquiries from members suggesting that a number of funeral homes are unaware of the July 1 deadline
Any funeral establishment that ships human remains by air in the United States will NOT be allowed to ship after July 1, 2009, if it has not registered as a "Known Shipper." Registration can be made directly with each airline and shippers must register with each and every airline that may be used in the future. There is no requirement to use the airline and each airline has its own format and fees. Most importantly, there is currently at least a six week backlog of Known Shipper applications waiting to be processed and the backlog is expected to grow longer as the July 1 deadline nears. These regulations are mandatory and enforced by the Transportation Safety Administration.
The bottom line: no funeral home will be permitted to ship human remains by air as of July 1 and thereafter if it has not registered as a Known Shipper with the particular airline it wants to use. There are other registration methods available, but ICCFA has been advised that registering directly with each airline intended to be used in the future is the simplest approach. For more information, contact ICCFA general counsel Bob Fells at 1.800.645.7700.
Annual Convention & Expo Shatters Attendance Record
The ICCFA Annual Convention & Exposition, April 20-23 at Mandalay Bay Resort in Las Vegas, Nevada, drew 1,574 total attendance and 310 supplier booths, shattering the association's previous records on both counts.
"Not only the number of attendees, but the energy they brought to this Convention made it our most successful ever," said ICCFA President Gregg Williamson, CCE. "At a time when many businesses are struggling and associations by and large face challenges, it was exciting to see the incredible turnout and positive attitude the attendees and suppliers brought to this event. Program Chairman Jeff Kidwiler and his committee are to be commended for their work in putting together a program that truly focused on the future of this profession and the possibilities that are open to us as we continue to reach out and serve families."
The breakdown for the 2009 attendance numbers is as follows:
- Total cemetery, funeral home, crematory and allied business representatives: 747
- 18 percent representing combination cemetery/funeral home operations
- 28 percent representing stand-alone cemeteries
- 38 percent representing stand-alone funeral homes
- 16 percent representing “other,” including stand-alone crematories and cremation societies, professional associations and mortuary school students and faculty
- Spouse/guest registrations: 205
- Press passes and speakers from outside the industry: 8
- Exhibitor and supplier registrations: 614
Attendees classified their positions as follows:
- Owners: 45 percent
- Managers: 46 percent
- Staff: 9 percent
- Final purchasing authority: 64 percent
- Make purchasing recommendations: 34 percent
- No purchasing authority: 2 percent
The Convention hosted 92 international attendees and exhibitors representing 14 countries outside of the United States.
Attendees gave the event excellent evaluations, with 96 percent rating their Overall Convention Experience as "excellent" or "very good." Among the comments:
- Overall, one of the very best conventions I have attended. In addition to the number of vendors in the exhibit hall, the variety and quality of programs was outstanding. As a "first timer," I will definitely return next year! (Stephen W. Smith, St. Louis Community College at Forest Park, St. Louis, Missouri)
- This was my first ICCFA Convention, and it was definitely worthwhile. The credibility and expertise of the presenters is to be admired. It's always beneficial to hear from real people with real-world examples. I look forward to my next Convention! (Adam Sanden, CPA, Brunner Funeral Homes & Cremation Service, Mentor, Ohio)
- I came for the marketing sessions and was not disappointed. The information regarding the Internet was very interesting. I enjoyed all the sessions I attended as well as the exhibits—lots of variety. Job well done! (Darlene Hickey, Catholic Cemeteries Commission, Sackville, Nova Scotia)
- I was a "first timer" and thoroughly enjoyed it all. Everyone I met and made contact with was so easy to talk to and I had a "welcoming" feeling from the entire group. The Expo was outstanding. (Kate Seeger, Bellevue Memorial Park, Ontario, California)
- Great—lots of info. Wouldn't miss this conference for anything. (Mark Halseth, Magnolia Cemetery Inc., Mobile, Alabama)
- I felt the presenters were very good as a whole. The topics were great. I liked the business and operations portions on how to actually improve your business and profits. Not a lot of "fluff" like some other conferences. (Scott Hanes, Wonderly Horvath Hanes Funeral Home & Crematory, Fremont, Ohio)
- Although this was my first conference, it exceeded my expectations. Thanks for making this experience such a worthwhile and enjoyable one. (Michael O'Connor, Hall-Wayne Funeral Service, Durham, North Carolina)
MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR OUR 2010 ANNUAL CONVENTION & EXPOSITION, MARCH 10-13, 2010, IN SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS!
Exhibitors rated the overall Exposition an average of 8.2 on a scale of 1 to 10. Asked about their plans for the 2010 Convention & Exposition, March 10-13 at the San Antonio Convention Center in San Antonio, Texas, 88 percent indicated they planned to exhibit, 10 percent were undecided and only 2 percent indicated they would not be present. A number of exhibitors noted that they planned to expand their presence at the 2010 Expo with larger booths. In case you missed the Convention & Expo, here is a complete list of all exhibitors.
Exhibitors: Let us know of your interest to exhibit in 2010 by contacting Bryan Spry at 1.800.645.7700.
Wide World of Sales 2010 Call For Presentations
Planning for the ICCFA Wide World of Sales, January 13-15, 2010, in New Orleans has already begun, and we are looking for "Heroes Among Us." Heroes are those sales and marketing professionals and industry leaders who are excelling and prospering during these difficult economic times and are willing to share the secrets of their success.
The ICCFA Sales and Marketing Committee is looking for high-quality content. We invite you to submit presentation proposals that offer concrete, how-to information, with an emphasis on the "how" rather than the "why" as it relates to preneed sales, marketing and management. For details on the submission requirements, visit www.wideworldofsales.com.
Submit your proposal to Robert Treadway via e-mail (preferred) at firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax to 703.391.8416. The deadline for submission is May 25. Questions? Call 1.800.645.7700.
Applicants will be notified of the committee's decisions in July.
ICCFA University: Hear What Past Attendees Are Saying
Registration Deadline Just Over a Month Away!
The ICCFA University, July 17-22 at the Mid-South Convention Center in Tunica, Mississippi, offers five days of intensive educational programming in six colleges and two graduate programs:
- College of 21st Century Services
- College of Administration and Management
- College of Cremation Services
- College of Funeral Home Management
- College of Land Management & Grounds Operations
- College of Sales & Marketing
- Master's program (graduate program)
- CEO program (graduate program)
ICCFAU is your most efficient means for learning how things are being done in the industry today, combining five days of intensive classroom education with campus-style networking and recreation to provide a unique experience within the profession.
Each year, this program is rated as the best educational and networking opportunity available. Students are welcome to come for one or two years, but most continue on through four years to become ICCFAU "graduates." From front-line maintenance workers, counselors and funeral directors through top executives and owners, the program offers something for everyone. Find out for yourself what draws our students back year after year.
Funeral directors can earn up to 24.5 CE credits, pending state approvals.
For complete details, to view student testimonial videos and to download registration materials, visit www.iccfa.com/education-events/iccfa-university/iccfa-university.
ICCFA's Fall Management Conference
The ICCFA 2009 Fall Management Conference, October 7-10 at the Renaissance Hotel, Washington, DC, will share CEO-level best practices presented by executives from both inside and outside the industry. The educational sessions are packed with high-level programming and idea-sharing symposiums, and evening receptions provide excellent venues for continued networking. The conference program and registration materials will be available in June.
ICCFA Bestows Annual Awards & Scholarships
The ICCFA honored numerous members during its 2009 Convention & Exposition, April 20-23 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Hall of Fame
The ICCFA awarded its prestigious Hall of Fame Award to Robert A. Gordon Sr., CCFE, CCrE, CSE, owner, managing director and secretary/treasurer of Eternal Hills Memorial Gardens & Funeral Home in Klamath Falls, Oregon. Gordon is an ICCFA past president and a former chancellor of the ICCFA University.
The ICCFA certification program recognizes individuals who have demonstrated a high degree of competence and a high level of cemetery, cremation, funeral or supplier management, experience and skills. The ICCFA awarded the following designations:
- Nancy R. Lohman, CCFE, vice president and CEO of Lohman Funeral Homes, Cemeteries & Cremation in Ormond Beach, Florida, received a Certified Cemetery Funeral Executive (CCFE) designation;
- Steve Looker, CCrE, CSE, president and CEO of B&L Cremation Systems Inc. in Largo, Florida, received a Certified Cremation Executive (CCrE) and a Certified Supplier Executive (CSE) designation;
- Rick Miller, CCFE, market director of SCI Colorado in Denver, Colorado, received a Certified Cemetery Funeral Executive (CCFE) designation;
- Richard F. "Dick" Perl, CCFE, vice president of sales and marketing at Mobile Memorial Gardens in Mobile, Alabama, received a Certified Cemetery Funeral Executive (CCFE) designation;
- Jon C. Reichmuth, CFuE, CFSP, owner of Reichmuth Funeral Homes in Elkhorn, Nebraska, received a Certified Funeral Executive (CFuE) designation;
- Thomas H. Snyder, CSE, vice president of sales and marketing with Facultatieve-Technologies—The Americas in Medina, Ohio, received a Certified Supplier Executive (CSE) designation; and
- William P. Tate, CCE, CCrE, superintendent and general manager of Laurel Hill Cemetery in Saco, Maine, received a Certified Cremation Executive (CCrE) designation.
Quarter and Half Century Clubs
The International Cemetery, Cremation and Funeral Association presented awards honoring those who have belonged to the association for 25 and 50 years.Inducted into the Quarter-Century Club were:
- Barry L. Alderson, CCE, Oak Lawn Cemetery & Chapel Mausoleums, Baltimore, Maryland;
- Russell Burns, Mount Elliott Cemetery Association, Clinton Township, Michigan;
- Chester S. Day, Kensico Cemetery, Valhalla, New York;
- Jeffrey A. Hodes, CCE, Cemetery Management Solutions, Herndon, Virginia;
- Victor Lohman, Daytona Memorial Park, Daytona Beach, Florida;
- Robert Schrage, Mount Elliott Cemetery Association, Clinton Township, Michigan; and
- Gregg A. Strom, CCE, StoneMor Partners LP, Levittown, Pennsylvania.
Inducted into the Half-Century Club were:
- Irvin O. Bauer Jr., Oak Lawn Cemetery & Chapel Mausoleums, Baltimore, Maryland;
- Harry "Hap" Bledsoe, CCE, Bledsoe Enterprises, Las Vegas, Nevada; and
- William P. Tate, CCE, CCrE, Laurel Hill Cemetery, Saco, Maine.
The ICCFA Women's Forum and Educational Foundation awarded several scholarships to the ICCFA University during the Annual Convention & Exposition.
ICCFA University, to be held July 17-22, 2009, at the Mid-South Convention Center and Veranda Hotel in Tunica, Mississippi, is the only school of its kind for cemetery, cremation and funeral service professionals.
The ICCFA Women's Forum awarded two scholarships to ICCFA University applicants, covering the recipients' full costs for registration, housing and meals. Recipients were:
- Audra Romero, Diocese of Tucson Catholic Cemeteries—Holy Hope, Tucson, Arizona; and
- Jamie Gorr, Fort Howard Memorial Park, Green Bay, Wisconsin.
The ICCFA Educational Foundation awarded a $1,500 scholarship to ICCFA University to:
- Joseph Ley, McWane Family Funeral Home, Hemet, California, and
- Kenneth Larson, Diocese of Tucson Catholic Cemeteries, Tucson, Arizona.
The ICCFA Educational Foundation also awarded a $500 scholarship to ICCFA University to:
- Nancy Weil, Mount Calvary Cemetery Group, Cheektowaga, New York.
Are you a Top Producing Counselor?
Are you tired of not getting paid what you are worth?
Are you looking to work for a market leader with:
- Organized Marketing Programs
- Phone Room Leads
- Direct Mail Leads
- Special Incentives to motivate buyers
- Sales Bonuses and Incentives
- Full Benefits and 401K
- A full appreciation for your skill
Are you willing to make a move to take your career to the next level?
Are you looking for a position with a possible advancement into management?
If you answered "Yes" to the above questions. We NEED to talk. E-mail your resume to: Kevin.Krizak@nsmg.com and call Kevin at 253-720-4821.
Carriage Services is a leading provider of professional funeral and cemetery services and products in the United States and is the fourth largest publicly traded death care company. Carriage serves families from diverse cultural and religious backgrounds.
Carriage is committed to being the most professional, ethical, and highest quality funeral and cemetery service organization in our industry. To assist us in maintaining this commitment, we are seeking a Managing Partner for one of our Texas locations.
Ideal candidates for the Managing Partner position will be successful entrepreneurs with a competitive spirit who achieve the Company's standards through:
- Selection and development of talent;
- Management of resources;
- Professional competence, including being a current licensed Funeral Director in the state of Texas, an Embalming license preferred, as well; and
- A minimum of 5 years of management experience in funeral or combo operations.
Carriage offers Managing Partners:
- Competitive wages
- Health Insurance, including: Medical, Optical & Dental, and Short & Long Term Disability
- Company Paid and Optional Life
- 401(k) Plan
- Stock Purchase Plan
- Paid Time Off
Carriage focuses on distinguishing itself from others by operating a people development company that emphasizes:
- Providing the highest level of personalized services to client families;
- Comprehensive employee training;
- Accountability to customers and each other; and
- Incentive compensation that shares the benefits of profitability with responsible employees.
Please e-mail resume and compensation requirements to email@example.com.
All inquiries will be held in the strictest confidence.
Sales Manager Wanted
We are seeking one qualified Sales Manager to join our growing company. The location that we have available is a location with a lot of opportunity, and has always shown to be productive. We need someone to oversee a sales staff of 5-6 Counselors-someone who will be a leader-someone who will develop people into top producers.
If this position seems to match your skill sets forward me your resume: firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 717-756-6875.
NorthStar Memorial Group is looking for experienced Funeral Directors who are highly motivated with a desire to learn, who loves to work and have fun in the process for their Memphis, Memorial Park and Ft. Myers Memorial Garden locations. This is your opportunity to become an essential member of an organization with exceptionally talented personnel committed to people and personalized service that sets us apart from our competition.
Our Funeral Director will provide professional services to client families, during and after the loss of a loved one. Retain heritage and grow market share through active involvement with community, religious, and other organizations. Adhere to all professional, municipal, state, and federal licensing regulations and rules applicable to the funeral service industry.
The successful candidate will be passionate about their work and possess a high level of integrity. Be a license Funeral Director with a Degree in Mortuary Science. Detail oriented and solution minded. Possess outstanding organization and time management skills. Work well independently and as part of a team, and have superior communication skills.
If you have what it takes to be on our team, send your resume to email@example.com for Memphis or firstname.lastname@example.org for Ft. Myers.
Gateway to Heaven! Funeral Home, mausoleums, crematorium and serenity garden. An $8 to 10 million investor needed to join our team for the above "Celebration of Life" project to include 39,552 burial sites of a seven phase development in Southlake, Texas. E-mail: email@example.com. Please call: 817.366.4276 or 888.481.7988.
Superstar Sales Manager Wanted
NorthStar, the smartest privately held company in our industry has a rare sales manager opening. If you seek a well paying, progressive, sales centric culture and are hard working, ethical, motivating and a proven developer of sales talent, we need to talk.
Our sales cluster in Decatur, IL, consisting of Graceland Cemetery and Funeral Home and Fairlawn Cemetery with 400-plus interments and 350-plus case volume has a wide variety of constructed and preconstructed inventory at multiple price points in a market with a population of 100,000-plus and very limited competition. Our existing sales team needs a hands-on leader to train, motivate and lead them by example. To exceed $250,000 to $300,000 in combined monthly sales.
Send your resume to Bob March to become the latest NorthStar hero at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will contact you within 48 hours if you appear to have the experience and character we seek.
Memorial Garden Cemeteries for Sale
My name is Milton Marshall, and I am the sole owner of two Memorial Garden cemeteries for over 36 years. I am 75 years old and I am ready to retire! The properties are conveniently located only 35 minutes apart, one in Hopkinsville, Kentucky and the other in Clarksville, Tennessee. I am presenting these cemeteries for sale to professional individuals or companies that will continue to serve these communities while achieving their own business goals.
Thank you for visiting this site: www.cemeteryforsale.com
You are welcome to contact me by e-mail or phone:
Advanced Planning Funeral Director
Earn up to a $25,000+ sign on bonus if you are a top notch Advanced Planning Funeral Director! We will be hiring someone with a proven track record in advanced planning funeral sales. Are you that person? Woodlawn Memorial Gardens located in beautiful Norfolk, VA is a Funeral Home/Cemetery Combo facility. We are expanding our business and looking for a top notch Advance Planning Funeral Director who will be responsible for our advanced planning funeral services. Must have Life & Annuities Insurance Licensure (or the ability to obtain with in a short period of time) and currently be licensed as a Virginia Funeral Director (or the ability to be licensed as one). Must be proficient w/computer and be willing to learn new software. Must be comfortable speaking in front of groups. This is a full-time position that offers competitive pay, excellent benefits including 401k, profit sharing and vacation. For consideration, please e-mail your resume with salary history to email@example.com. (Confidential Inquiries). EOE.
Cemetery Sales—Advanced Planning Professional
Earn up to a $25,000 sign on bonus if you are a top notch salesperson with proven pre-need cemetery sales experience. Have you always wanted to live and work close to the beach? Well, it's time to make that dream a reality. Woodlawn Memorial Gardens has 75 acres of beautifully landscaped and maintained property and is located in Norfolk, Virginia, just minutes from the Virginia Beach Oceanfront. Woodlawn is a combo facility and is in the process of expanding our Advanced Planning sales team by adding more top notch talent. Sales experience must be proven and demonstrated. This is a full-time commissioned opportunity with benefits and high earnings potential. Must have a valid driver's license, be able to obtain a Virginia cemetery sales license, have excellent computer skills, closing skills and the desire to write your own paycheck. For further consideration, please email your resume, with salary history included to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Confidential Inquiries). EOE.
Place your classified advertisement with ICCFA today!
ICCFA Supply Link Allows Easy Buyer's Guide Searching
The ICCFA Supply Link, an online buyer's guide members can use to easily search for products and services from the convenience of their computers, can be accessed directly from the ICCFA home page. The Supply Link offers a "Search" function whereby members can search according to product type or company name and can be limited to a state or to a certain radius distance from a specified city or ZIP code. Users also can narrow their search to include only ICCFA-member companies. Suppliers that are ICCFA members and exhibitors are identified as such in their listings.
ICCFA News Page
The ICCFA News Page takes you to sources throughout the world for industry news and updates. It brings you the most comprehensive selection of funeral service and cemetery news available anywhere, along with frequently updated general news items related to national and world events. The News Page reports the news before anyone else and is one of the most visited page on the ICCFA Web site. Stop in each day and you'll see why.
The 2009 Music Licenses are available for just $248 per property, no additional fees. Covers ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. Any U.S. funeral home, cemetery or related business is eligible for membership as a Music License Member. Licensing directly with the agencies this year would cost nearly $600 per location, so this price—which requires no additional membership fee—is still the lowest available to the industry.
ICCFA members now also have access to an attorney for tax-related questions regarding trust earnings, care fund allocations, capital gains, investments and more. The ICCFA has retained Leslie Schneider, CPA, a tax attorney with Ivins, Phillips & Barker in Washington, DC, for telephone consultations for up to 20 minutes with no obligation. To take advantage of this member benefit, call Schneider at 202.393.7600.
ICCFA Insurance Program
Administered by Alliant Insurance Services, this program allows members to purchase commercial property and casualty insurance -- including general liability, commercial property, automobile liability and physical damage, umbrella liability, professional liability, workers compensation, employee benefits and more -- at rates they probably would not be able to afford on their own. For details, call 1.800.390.9099.
Fraud Prevention & Detection Consultation Service
ICCFA has retained the services of veteran fraud investigator Robert A. Garvey Jr., CPA, CFE, CrFA, CVA, to serve as a consultative resource for members' employee theft and fraud concerns. The new member benefit, the "Fraud Investigation and Deterrence Consultation Service" or FIDCS, will allow members to discuss by telephone any issues or concerns related to suspected fraudulent activity or a desire to put systems and controls in place at their locations to deter such activity. There is no cost to ICCFA members in good standing to utilize this benefit. The number to call is 1.866.649.1902.
Legal Advice on Cremation Concerns
Courtesy of the ICCFA Government and Legal Fund, ICCFA members now have access to pre-paid legal advice on cremation-related issues. Through this exclusive member benefit, the association has retained Poul H. Lemasters, Esq., of Rosenacker & Associates, Ltd., Cincinnati, Ohio. Poul is an attorney and licensed funeral director, and members in good standing may call him at 1.800.221.2889 to discuss cremation concerns for up to 20 minutes at no charge.
FTC 'Red Flag' Compliance Program
ICCFA now offers members a sample compliance program concerning new Federal Trade Commission rules to fight identity theft. To have the program template sent to you, please contact us at 1.800.645.7700.
GPL Compliance Check
Members whose businesses must follow the FTC Funeral Rule's General Price List (GPL) requirements can have their lists reviewed for compliance by attorney Poul H. Lemasters, Esq., without charge. Contact Lemasters at 1.800.221.2889.
International Cemetery, Cremation and Funeral Association
107 Carpenter Drive, Suite 100
Sterling, VA 20164
Copyright 2009, International Cemetery, Cremation and Funeral Association