Matt Grieco: Funeral Directing: Stepping Out of the Shadows [audio]
Seminar: "Funeral Directing: Stepping Out of the Shadows"
From the 2012 ICCFA Annual Convention
On Broadway, directors don't step out on stage. They do months of prep work, but when it comes time for opening night, they stay behind the scenes while the actors, set designers and lighting technicians bring the production to life.
Many see funeral directing in a similar vein, but Matt Grieco disagrees. He feels funeral service professionals can better serve families if they play a more visible role as master of ceremonies. Join him as he shares his training and experiences in:
• public speaking skills that move and inspire
• making an authentic connection with your "audience”
• coming out of your shell (even if you are an introvert)
• overcoming the fear of failure
• putting yourself "out there” both inside the funeral home and out in the community
• determining who among your staff members might best be suited for these types of visible roles
Matt Grieco is chief operating officer of Grieco Family Funeral Homes in Southeastern Pennsylvania and Delaware. A first-generation funeral director, he expanded his company within the past decade from a single funeral home doing about 50 events per year to nine locations handling 1,000 events. He holds a bachelor's degree in health policy and administration from Penn State University and a degree in mortuary science from the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science.
Any handouts from this presentation are included in the download or on the CD.